For the months of September and October we’ve challenged you to do 30 workouts in 60 days. Those that conquer the challenge win bragging rights annnnnd an RF pom pom hat. And those that exceed the 30 workout goal will also get entered to win a $100 Amazon gift card!
This challenge is all about building a habit and creating a behavior that sets you down the path to future success. Making significant progress and reaching goals isn’t about being perfect some of the time. Nope. It’s about being pretty good most of the time, over a long period of time. You do anything 4x per week and you’re going to get pretty good at it. For the rest of this challenge, we want you to turn your health and fitness dial up to 7 or 8. Here are 5 keys to getting the most out of your next 30 workouts. You may look at these and say, “These are as basic as white girls buying pumpkin spiced errrthing.” Welllll, that’s because the basics WORK! No need to overcomplicate things.
1 – Just Show Up // You no show up, you no get the pom pom hat. Consistency is built on the showing up when you don’t want to because there will be days you don’t feel like it. Days you’re sore and run down. Days the stress from work and family piles up. These are the days you just gotta put in the work. You don’t need to set PRs, you just need to be here. I promise you will feel better after.
2 – Have a Goal // I don’t care what it is but pick something that forces you to stay focused on the next 30 workouts and you can track progress weekly. In group training this can be a little tricky but if you’re training 4x per week the workouts will be familiar and you should remember what you did the previous time. For example, if you typically do sets of 15 bar pushups aim to get 8 consecutive pushups from the floor by week eight.
3 – Recover as Hard as You Train // Recovery begins as soon as the workout ends. Do not neglect your post-workout stretching, rolling, and prehab exercises. Get 7-8 hours of quality sleep. Drink more water than you think. Urine color should be somewhere between Natty Light and Crystal Pepsi. As far as nutrition, eat quality protein, lots of veggies, healthy fats, and some carbs. You need carbs to perform optimally. This is not a reason to eat a large pizza by yourself, but please eat some good carbs. Need help creating the perfect meal, then you’re gonna love THIS meal guide from Precision Nutrition. Seriously, it’s a game changer. Need some help with knowing how much to eat, look HERE. If you want to take your nutrition beyond that, then go talk to Coach Matt.
4 – Hit 5th Gear // This is Coach Josh speak for testing your limits. 5th gear happens when your body wants to quit, or slow down, but you tell the brain to STFU and fight through the pain (not actual pain, but that good ol’ lactate buildup muscle burning sensation). Typically we train and make progress without being in 5th gear, and that’s good mmmkay, about 80% of our training should be accomplished this way. The remaining 20% is reserved for 5th gear. Over the next 30+ workouts I challenge you to hit your 5th gear for at least one exercise at each class you attend. I want you to go ALL OUT for the entire set leaving you breathless and asking for more rest on the moves that aren’t as technical, but have a killer cardio effect. For September Group Classes this would include the Battling Ropes, Rope/Sled Pull & Push, Speed Skaters, Reverse Burpees, Jump Squats, and even Kettlebell Swings (if form is on point). For strength movements, I want you to execute those with precision and intensity. Want to be better? Then you have to really focus on getting better! Hit 5th gear at least once at every class and then tell me it doesn’t change you.
5 – Improve Mind-Muscle Connection // The flip side of training in 5th gear is training when you are worn down. During these times I really focus on the mind-muscle connection instead of trying to lift more weight. On the conditioning moves I’m still going as hard as I can that day, but for the strength moves I’m training with intent. This means I’m focusing on my breathing and really concentrating on contracting the appropriate muscles during the raising and the lowering portions of the movement. If it’s a 40 second work interval I may only accomplish 10-12 reps, but I’m trying to make those reps smooth and effective.
Remember, you don’t have to be perfect every day, you just need to be “pretty good” for a long time and you’ll make progress. Stay tuned for more information on these topics and others throughout September and October. Now I’m off to get me a venti PSL. Hey, no judging.