Hi Warriors – Coach Matt back with another recipe to satisfy your appetite!
As some of you know, I grew up partially in the (not so) great state of Alabama. Here comes a family classic southern recipe, doctored up to be on the healthy side of things.
HEALTHY HOPPIN’ JOHN
You Will Need These Items:
- 1 lb dry blackeye peas, soaked overnight
- 2-3 lb London broil or chicken breast, diced
- 2 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-4 cups water
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- 4 Bell Peppers, diced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
Follow These Instructions:
- Heat 1 TBSP oil over medium heat, add onions and meat. Brown Meat
- Bring beans, onions, meat, and chicken stock to a gentle simmer.
- Add generous amounts of salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder.
- Let sit for 1-1.5 hours.
- Stir in the bell pepper and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Cook rice according to package instructions (mine is for 45 minutes at a gentle boil.)
- Take a small cupped handful of rice, top with Hoppin’ John, some hot sauce.
Coach Matty B – RF House Nutrition Sherpa, PN2 Nutrition Coach & Master Chef