Protein? Healthy fats? Fiber and Carbs? Check,check, checkity, check check. Easy to make and leftovers keep well? Yesss. Covers all my bases. Plus it’s a great warm meal for the winter. Enjoy! Pair this with a couple handfuls of salad and lunch is done for the week. You’re welcome.
Original recipe from the Cookin’ Canuk. Adapted by Results Fitness member, Rachel Morse.
Crock Pot Tortilla Soup
*Serves 6-8 people
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bell peppers (any colors), diced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, minced (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 5 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste (start with 1 tsp of salt and ½ tsp pepper)
- Chopped avocado for serving
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Sour cream or Fage Plain Greek Yogurt for serving
- Shredded cheeses for serving
- Cholula hot sauce or hot sauce of your choice
- Place chopped onion, garlic, red bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, and ground cumin into the bottom of a crockpot.
- Cover this mixture with brown rice and boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Pour diced tomatoes, with juices, and chicken broth over the chicken breasts. Add corn and black beans.
- Turn the crockpot to Low and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and, using two forks, shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the crockpot.
- Cook on Low for an additional 30 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with chopped avocado, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, hot sauce, and Greek yogurt (or sour cream)!