This one is, I must say, one of my bests. As Coach Josh just said while he is sitting next to me, “Matt you are the greatest chef I have ever known…” and then he wept. So, yanno, its pretty good!
Ultimate Jambalaya – Cast Iron Skillet
You Will Need These Items:
• 3 tbsp Grass Fed Butter
• 2 cups cherry tomatoes
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 Red Onions, Diced
• 2-3 lb Chicken Breast, Diced
• 8-12oz smoked turkey sausage, cut into chunks
• 3 green bell peppers, diced
• 3 stalks celery, diced
• 20 oz Tomato Sauce
• 6 tablespoons tomato paste
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 2-4 cups black rice (cooked in broth or water)
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp oregano
- 2 Tbsp Thyme
- 3 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
Follow These Instructions:
1. Preheat Oven to 400, roast cherry tomatoes in cast iron skillet for 30 minutes or until they start to shrivel and burst, remove from oven.
2. Set skillet on medium high heat and add butter, garlic and red onions. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, allowing the onion to brown and the tomatoes to rip apart to create a sauce.
3. Add the chicken and turkey sausage and cook until the outside of the chicken is no longer pink, about 6 to 8 minutes
4.Add bell pepper and celery, Stir. Then, add tomato sauce and the seasonings. Stir and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Pour in the chicken broth and tomato paste. Add a few pinches of sea salt and pepper, then stir it up. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 20-45 minutes depending upon how much liquid you want left.
6. While that is finishing, cook black rice over low heat for 30-35 minutes. When finished let it sit, covered, for about 10 minutes.
7. Serve Jambalaya over rice.
Coach Matty B – – RF House Nutrition Sherpa, PN2 Nutrition Coach & Master Chef